Thursday, December 23, 2004

Could I shop for 24 hours?

I think this is the first year in history that Adelaide has offered its shoppers 24 uninterrupted hours of access to its major department stores. My head spins at the very thought of it.
I am usually a Christmas Eve shopper, so I have surprised myself that I am already 100% finished, and one day ahead of schedule. Brilliant. While sugarplums danced in my head last night, some die-hard shoppers were hitting the malls looking for that last-minute gift that they their loved one just had to have.
My technique this year has been a drawn-out, strategic affair with the shops. I've mentally shopped before I've actually hit the pavement, so I've walked determinedly towards my destination, grabbed the merchandise of choice, and made a beeline for the register. Reflecting on what I've purchased for my friends and family, I feel like I've made the right choices and that the feedback will be largely positive.
But it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who emerge from under their suburban rocks to brave the City streets at Christmas time. These people obviously have little idea about where shops are, let alone what they're looking for in them. So they stare open-mouthed at the big buildings and lots of cars, and walking at a snails-pace down a congested Mall.
For city folk like me, this influx of bumpkin Christmas shoppers freaks me out. I'm not a bah-humbugger by any stretch, but even this is enough to test me. However, I need to remember that 'tis the season to be jolly and all that rot, so I will remain on my best behaviour, and smile through gritted teeth, even if it kills me.
To all my readers (regular or otherwise), I hope that Father Christmas remembers you this year and I wish you all a big Merry Christmas to you and sloppy kisses for the season!

No comments: