Sunday, December 19, 2004

Leaving on a jet plane...

It's all confirmed. The tickets got printed on Friday, the UK visa forms are being processed right now, and I'm insured up to my eyeballs for anything that might occur whilst travelling.
And I've found a travel companion who likes me enough to drag my sorry ass around this big, weird world. Bless her. My apologies to readers who have not yet been made aware of my travel plans, or the fact that Andrea is travelling with me. I didn't want to make it known until everything was confirmed (aka we couldn't wimp out on each other).
But something that a friend said to me on Friday night, prior to the consumption of an extreme amount of beers, has been plaguing me. Good friend said that Andrea and I will be intimidating travel companions. It is worth me just adding here that I am not worried about the friend telling me this because I know he didn't mean it maliciously. In fact, I'm grateful for his observation cause it got me a-thinkin'.
How will the big, weird world react to Andrea and I? Because we bounce off one another well, will we freak unsuspecting foreigners out or be too intense with our compatible sense of humour? I haven't asked Andrea's opinion, but I have got a whole new dose of confidence at the thought of travelling with someone I know will look out for me, and of course I will look out for her too. And having someone to take my photo in front of important historical monuments, or just as silly times, will be so valuable.
Maybe it's not about being intimidating - maybe Andrea and I just won't be the rookie world travellers that people will expect, because we'll be brave and confident. I accept that, independently, we would be more cautious. But together? Look out world, here we come!

No comments: