Thursday, November 04, 2004

No more nuts for THAT man!

I don't normally read the newspaper, beyond the movies or comics pages, basically because I find the real world quite depressing these days. No one seems to report happy news anymore but I'm not sure whether that's because blood sells, or whether there just isn't anything good happening these days. So you can imagine how relieved I get when I log onto the www.abc.net.au/news site and check out their "off-beat" section for updates on the weird shenanigans of people across the world.

And today's edition was no exception. Check out this beautiful story.

Apparently a Canadian guy indignantly ran stark bollocks-naked across the tarmac at LA international airport because QANTAS wouldn't sell him a 1-way ticket to Australia. Can I just ask why he didn't write a stern letter to QANTAS management? Was it completely necessary to air his privates in public and then seek to scale a barbed wire fence in protest? (Editor's note: I don't believe he was naked at the time of the attempted purchase. The refusal to sell him a ticket probably had more to do with inadequate documentation, but not the point).


The amusing thing about this story for me was that this is the sort of guy I always get stuck next to on planes.

Given my short legs, I don't mind having the window seat and crawling over people to get to the loo isn't a problem for me. But the flipside of that is the high likelihood that a complete nutter will be sitting in the middle seat, and virtually pen me in. And that's happened a few times, thankfully only on domestic flights so far. Fortunately I've never had the problem of semi-naked (or even totally naked) people on my flights, but surely it's only a matter of time. I've had the "compulsive talkers", the "sing-a-long headphone-wearers", the "are we there yet?" people, and the "running commentary with the inflight movie" people, all of whom bother me to varying degrees. But nothing is worse than the "armrest hog". ARGH I hate that.

Up there in business class it's not a problem, I know, I know....a girl can dream.

No comments: