Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Lady Luck

Yesterday was "THE race that stops the nation" - the Melbourne Cup.
I acutally entered a workplace $2 sweep, which is not really "me". I am not a betting person, though (I kid you not), I was toying with the idea of backing Makybe Diva, who got across the line in spectacular fashion - and joining only a handful of racing "legends" to take home back-to-back Melbourne Cups.
I have such 20-20 hindsight when it comes to betting, and that's not funny. But the man at the coffee shop tells me that a lot of his customers have non-gambler's remorse, while others backed the winner given it's SA citizenship, and are happy little campers today. One of his customers actually backed the first 4 horses, which is probably taking it to the extreme somewhat.
Kate emailed pictures from her Parisian apartment this morning, and it just screams bohemian, I love it. Mattresses on the floor meets chandeleirs meets wood panelling. I have pictured a sweeping view out over the Paris landscape and the very idea of it is so charming to me. I can't wait to get there and see it in person.
I also wanted to pause and congratulate Groovy Gems for the brave decision she made yesterday. I received an email that Gems (a UK passport holder) is going to fly over to the UK in April/May next year to enjoy some time out from work and Aussie life in general. I understand your trepidation, Gems, but I stand by my belief that you've made the right decision. It has to be the right one, because at least you've decided and you can now start planning. And that is the most frustrating but exhilirating part.
Talk about frustrating... Yesterday I made some calls about Spanish lessons, to prepare me for travelling to Peru. Every place I look at is so expensive! The only options that appear to be left are two exclusive language tuition schools, who want to charge me $50 per hour. Now I accept that this is for one-on-one beginner conversation lessons (which I need), but $50 per hour?! So I'm putting the call out for a friend to come with me. Apparently if I do the lessons with a friend, the cost is $30 per hour each. Anyone want to learn Spanish with me? 10 weeks....come on, you know you've always wanted to!

No comments: