Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Don't tell ME it won't hurt!

I have been looking at health websites today, trying to work out what vaccinations I'll need for my upcoming trip. I paid a virtual visit to our friends at the World Health Organisation, and then I thought of the Smart Traveller site. But then I found my way to the Travel Doctor.

Whose idea was it to go to Peru anyway?! My poor arm hurts at the very thought of the vaccinations, and I haven't even heard of some of the diseases I'll be fighting off! I thought that dodgy water and questionable food from street vendors were going to require the majority of my vigilance, but apparently not. I need to also be aware of bugs, rabid dogs, parasitic kids, and feral mosquitoes. Oh and I need to have a relaxing holiday at the same time.

Eek.


2 comments:

kilabyte said...

And I bet they didn't even tell you about the wormy-thingys that can crawl into bodily orificies (or is that orifii??) if you swim in places like lakes, rivers, ponds, water-holes, drinking pools and wherever water pools in more abundance than a tea spoon and you haven't got everything plugged up. Be it so humble there is no place like civilised down-town Rundle Street (except on a Friday night of course - but even the wormy-thingys know that too).

Unknown said...

I forgot the intestinal worms - man, this place is going to freak me out. I need to learn how to see "can you please point me to the nearest health care professional" in spanish some time soon!