Tuesday, October 19, 2004

"Vintage" does not mean "crap", people!

Trawling through ebay last night, I was searching the vintage clothing pages in the hope of finding an inexpensive yet fabulous dress to wear to my cousin's wedding in February.

But I think some online sellers need to be reminded that just because something was manufactured in the 80s, is covered in sequins, or has the word "glomesh" in the title, does not make it "vintage". Nine times out of ten, though, it will make it "ugly". But I guess "ugly" doesn't sell as well...

And I was equally perplexed at the number of items badged as "very Carrie" or "tres Sex & the City". Give me a break. I've been devoted to the last 6 seasons of the Carrie show, as everyone knows. And I feel quite sure that Carrie would never slip inside some of those foul creations. She's worn some nutty outfits over time but these things were just misleading. I have an isssssue about this, as you can tell.

So I am without a vintage dress for the wedding, but I am not giving up. I will find a sparkly little number that won't cost me the earth, which will help me justify the Carrie-ism I have adopted as my own: "Wearing a $10 dress means I can buy $700 shoes". Makes sense to me.

No comments: