Friday, June 12, 2009

Like sand through the hourglass


time
Originally uploaded by My Symbiosis.

In one week, I will finish work. I am very nervous about this for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I haven't been unemployed since I was 17. I'm not sure I'll be too good at it. Sure, I like slothing around as much as the next girl, but I get tired of it pretty quickly. And there's only so much daytime TV even I can take (sorry, Food Network, even you bore me after a while).

Secondly, finishing my job means that I'm almost leaving Chicago. One does not exist without the other. And the closer I get to my last day on the job, the closer I get to the last time I take the bus along glassy Lake Michigan, and the last time I stroll down the Magnificent Mile and the last time I...well, you get the picture.

My situation is nothing to pity of course. I chose to be in this situation - I'm not one of the unlucky ones to lose my job because of the financial slump the world is in, nor was I booted out for being naughty. I elected to put myself in this position - mea culpa and all that good stuff.

But don't the faceless "they" always tell you that you should leave a party while you're still having fun? Well that's what I'm doing - getting out while the getting is good.

I just wish my list of things to say goodbye to wasn't quite so long...

1 comment:

kilabyte said...

Console yourself also in the fact that you are coming home to those who have quietly, silently, without-noise, noiselessly, mouse-like, are now waiting to go YIPPPEEEE, SHE'S HOME ...... put on the kettle mother and bring out the scones ........... more tea anyone???????