Saturday, October 20, 2007

And all that jazz


green mill interior
Originally uploaded by falsefridays.

Last night we caught the bus with Wongy up to Andersonville to see some live jazz at Al Capone's old bar, The Green Mill. It's only a small venue, but it gets absolutely packed and, as it was, we had to sit at the bar (where we were served by the surliest bartender in Chicago - it was quite funny really).

I hadn't realised that The Green Mill was a jazz place; rather I had thought it was a blues bar. No matter. The live music was wonderful and there is no denying the musicians were a terribly talented bunch. But after about 90 minutes, we were pretty much done.

We caught a cab to Guthries (the board game pub) but vowed to return there on Sunday afternoon because there was just way too many people there last night. So we walked up to Southport and when the SoPo Bar seemed too packed (and way too cool) for us, we crossed the street to Coobah and shared some calamari and cocktails instead. That turned out to be the best part of the night - no crowds, and just delicious.

Speaking of delicious, I've put Mum to work today, making me heaps of her famous pea and ham soup so I can freeze it and enjoy it all through the coming winter months. I know, it's mean, but that's just tough because the soup is so good and I can't make it myself (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).

No comments: