Monday, February 26, 2007

Believe me, these blokes can move!


Not amused
Originally uploaded by Kiwi Mikex.

There was a big ice storm in Chicago on Saturday night that I (of coures) went out in. I had made a promise to another Adelaide girl that I'd come to a pub by Wrigley Field to have birthday drinks with her. So as the weather worsened over the course of the day, and my Friday night hangover diminished, I trudged up the road and got stung in the eyes by bitchy sleety icicles. Jerks.

But I sought sanctuary in a passing cab but I was grateful that we proceeded at a snail's pace to "Casey Moran's", my friend's watering hole of choice.

The next morning, Chicago looked like a winter wonderland but was still terribly grey and I didn't want to go out in it. So I was kinda grateful when Jenn told me she'd gashed her foot (curse those home pedicures) and she wouldn't be able to come to the theater with me.

But I was curious about the action-musical called "Terracotta Warriors" and so I made my friend K come with me. Not only was I curious about the musical, but I desperately wanted to see inside the iconic Chicago Theater (before the Harry Connick Jr concert in March, that is).

It took me a while to get into the show, which is called an action-musical because it relies on dance and stunts, rather than dialogue, to move the story along. And the plot in this case was about the first Emperor of China, and how he revolutionised the country, terrorised his people, but also managed to build The Great Wall of China in the process.

My favourite parts of the show were the stunts and the acrobats - even two little kids played the part of conscripted soldier/ninjas really well. Loved it.

Plus of course I have long been fascinated by the ghostly Terracotta Warrior statues that you find in China - they look very menacing, but given what it would have been like under the Emperor's reign, you probably had to be a little fierce just to get by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gab, remember the scene in Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion where Romy tells the guy at the club that she has to go coz her shoe is filling up with blood? Jenn just used that line you. Ha-ha! **kidding Jenn** :)