Tuesday, February 13, 2007

All the art looked fine to me


Dance at Bougival by Pierre August Renoir
Originally uploaded by frangg23.

On our last day in Boston (Sunday) there wasn't anything we really wanted to do, than to head to the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA). After a questionable breakfast of Dunkin Donuts (invented near Boston, so accordingly Bean Town boasts 750 stores!), me, Kate, and Mrs H took off on the T, using some spare tickets Kate had.

The T is Boston's version of Chicago's "El", only the T runs both underground, like a subway, and then aboveground, like a tram. It's quick, cheap, and easy to follow. And after a few track changes and transfers, we made it to the MFA without incident.

I don't understand much about art, so I stay fairly quiet on the subject. But there are a few things that I do like. I enjoy roaming through Egyptology exhibits (past life maybe?), I like Monet, Renoir, and I very much like the statue of the young dancer by Degas. Did the Boston Museum of Fine Arts have all these things? You betcha.

And so we lost ourselves in the many galleries, exhibition halls, and gift shops (!) in the MFA and I really enjoyed it. Towards the end, when my feet started getting sore, it was nice to just sit on the soft chairs in the middle of the rooms and look around. From that far away, it's much easier to appreciate the sheer scale of some of these artworks.

Back at the hotel, Kate and I only had time for a quick lunch with Mrs H before we had to say goodbye to Mr H at the Expo and share a cab to the airport. After a quick journey to my terminal, I gave Kate a tight hug goodbye and checked in.

The holiday was over quickly but I certainly feel like I saw a lot and did a lot. I sure ate and drank a lot. But that's what holidays are about I guess.

Now, where to next?

No comments: