Friday, December 22, 2006

A trip down Rundle Street

Andrea and Me Distill, Rundle Street Gab and Andrea

Reg agreed to round up our old work colleagues to join in a 'welcome home' drink last night on Rundle Street in the heart of the City. But for me, the festivities started at lunch time with my friend Susan, to enjoy a long-overdue Fasta Pasta meal. It is just as cheap & cheerful as I remember!

After surprising PJ in the mailroom, I was off to join Reg at her office Christmas party. She certainly has a great office space now - with a sunny balcony just perfect for entertaining. Reg's colleagues were all in fine form, and nobody minded me crashing the party for an hour or so.

We then disappeared to Distill on Rundle Street, a groovy organic wine/cocktail bar that only opened about a month ago. The bar quickly reached capacity and some of my 'party' guests were denied entry. I tried to negotiate with the bouncer but he would not see reason (and would not accept bribes). He also refused to kick some people out so that my friends could come in. Where is the justice? So even Joshua and my sister had to go and sit at another bar and were unable to join us for a drink or three. It was great to see the old gang and realise that while the work never changes, my friends are still happy and healthy and heaps of fun to see.

Craig, Jake, and Sarah Laksa, at last! Exhibit A:  Salt & Pepper Squid

Dinner at Lemongrass on Rundle Street was a wonderful opportunity to FINALLY get some laksa into me. The Thai restaurants I've been to in Chicago just don't seem to serve it. So I seized the opportunity here, and I was not disappointed in the least. Of course the spongy pieces of tofu were a little icky, but the rest of the soup was spicy, coconutty, and blissful. Clearly the girls also enjoyed the salt & pepper squid, as evidenced by the very 'Wheel of Fortune' pointing and gesturing.

We disappeared into The Exeter pub after that, and though the young person's venue is not really my scene (think arty Uni students everywhere), I had a relaxing time with a fresh glass of wine - probably the first bottle of good wine that place has ever sold! Jems disappeared to do some last-minute Christmas shopping and Josh convinced me to join him for a cocktail at Fumo Blu just down the road.

Fumo is a really cute place that I used to go to all the time when I lived here. The cocktails are strong, not necessarily cheap, but are always the best quality. The cosmopolitan that I enjoyed went down a real treat. Oh that reminds me, I owe Josh a cocktail. Don't let me forget that.

My trip down Rundle Street last night was a trip down memory lane. Hard to believe that all this adventure happened in a 3 block radius, don't you think? But that's Adelaide for you - lots to see, lots to do, and no need to trek all over town to do it.

No comments: