Friday, December 29, 2006

A shopper's paradise

My friend was right the other day when she suggested I'm going to need a vacation from this vacation! I am really tired right now, and I can rest the blame for this exhaustion entirely on the retail therapy I have engaged in over the past two days.

King William Road, Hyde Park
Mum & I spent a wonderful day in the sunshine yesterday cruising the shops on King William Road at Hyde Park. We dressed up a bit for it too, partly because I was on a mission to buy a cute Australian-made dress for the Australia Day Ball in Chicago next month. You will all be pleased to know I emerged triumphant. The salesman at the evening wear boutique was a gem and he helped convince me that the black, strapless dress was perfect for me, only it needed to be taken in (something every girl wants to hear, trust me). So off Mum & I trotted down the road to the tailors to have the dress altered to perfection. I am in love with the dress, even though I never intended getting anything short, strapless, or black. Whatever! I can't wait to wear it out. Photos to follow, of course.

Martini Cafe, Norwood
What's a trip back to Adelaide without a rendez-vous with Daz & J? The last place I saw the boys was in Paris, when we dined at the Jules Verne restaurant up the Eiffel Tower for J's birthday - hard to believe that was 18 months ago now! Still, when we're in Adelaide the only place we want to go for dinner is the Martini Cafe. Just down the road from their beautiful new house, Jems and I laughed with the boys for hours - we were the life of the party and the last to leave the restaurant. Perhaps it was the sparkling rose we imbibed while we waited for our Veuve Cliquot to chill that did it...now THAT is classy dining. Dancing off our dinner at a mid-town gay bar afterwards was great fun, and the first time in ages that I'd drunk Vodka Cruisers!

The Adelaide Central Market

The Central Market - Adelaide Gouger Street, Adelaide Chinatown in Adelaide

I can't tell you how much I love the Adelaide Central Market. It is such a wonderfully aromatic haven right in the centre of the City. The Markets are open every day (hmm maybe not Monday - I forget), though they are definitely at their best on Friday nights and first thing Saturday mornings.

When Kate and I were living together not too far from the Markets, we often made vows that we were going to walk there every Saturday for the freshest fruit & veg that our money could buy. Hmm. I bet you can guess the number of times we actually did that.

Of course, now that I live so far from the markets, I was itching to get back there. I made sure that Mum & Jem draggggggged themselves out of bed early this morning and we were on the road to get there well before 9am. But our efforts were richly rewarded, cause we had a great bacon & egg breakfast, and just enjoyed watching the shoppers and listening to the grocers and the fishmongers bellowing the daily specials and plentiful bargains to be had. The smell of the coffee beans, the well-known fruit shops, and fresh, local produce - it really is awesome stuff. And with the market right next door to Adelaide's own Chinatown, it's the perfect spot for authentic east-meets-west experiences.

No comments: