Thursday, December 14, 2006

I will NOT think of Ross


Schmooze*
Originally uploaded by imapix.

This was my mantra as I stepped into the "Mystic Tanning" booth at LA Tan tonight. I was brave, this I know. Particularly so given that no one at the tanning salon could explain to me what was so mystical about this method of tanning. But if even the employees don't know about it, then it MUST be mystical, right?

But I was determined not to end up like Ross Gellar from "Friends" when he went in for a Mystic Tan. If you remember, Ross rotated like a rotisserie chicken a few too many times as the over-zealous machines worked their spraying magic. Ross misunderstood direction, turned the wrong way every time, and ended up looking a little less 'tanned', and a little more 'scorched'.

So I asked questions, I listened intently, and I tried to look like I belonged admidst the other (fake) bronzed bodies that wandered around me at the salon.

I needn't have worried though. I put on my hairnet, applied barrier cream to the areas I didn't want tanned (in between fingers and toes), pushed the little green button, and hoped for the best.

After some pretty hefty spraying on my front side, I spun around as directed and the machines hit the back of me. Then of course it was a thought that hit me - I never asked what colour this tanning was going to turn out! Oh boy.

So once it was all over, I gingerly stepped out of the booth, patted myself dry with the towel they supplied, and surveyed the results in the (inadequate) full-body mirror in the change room. Not bad, but perhaps not good. All-over coverage, sure - and rather even. Not too shabby for a first effort. But rather than being orange (which I'm eternally grateful that I'm NOT), I am a rather deep shade of brown - a rather obvious 'I've just been to the tanning salon' kinda brown.

But as I was leaving the salon, the lady assured me that the tan would just seem that intense straight away and tomorrow morning, when I have my shower, I'll see a reduction in the intensity and a more even tone. She better be right.

Well this is me signing off for now at least. I had better take my brown body back to the business of packing my suitcases. Not the most fun chore around, but it's all for a great cause!

No comments: