Sunday, December 17, 2006

Great Southern Land

After a rather mammoth 28 hour trip, I made it to my beautiful home town of Adelaide and flying over it yesterday, my whole body just relaxed somehow. I breathed out for the first time in days. And to see Josh and Tristan smiling at me upon arrival was an added relief that I had really made it. Before I'd even said hello properly, Josh screamed out at me, "your bloody mother's not even here yet!". Sigh, it was true.

I needn't have worried about the brass band or the banners or the screaming relatives! My family had got confused about where I was going to clear customs, so they thought they had plenty of time to get to the airport and greet me. But they hadn't counted on me clearing customs and immigration in Melbourne AND making it to Adelaide in record time - so my welcoming committee was much smaller than I had counted upon. Hey, it was a blessing for me! I was tired, semi-grouchy, feeling dirty and blasted with airplane air - it was all an icky combination. But little by little, the family 'crowd' gathered and I had a shower and a cold Coopers beer and I was as right as rain.

Then my family (including George) went to the Grange Jetty Kiosk for a delicious lunch right on the ocean. I tell you, I'm not much of a beach bunny but the water truly has a mesmeric effect on me. The smell and sound of the ocean just reinforced to me that I was home. The seagulls, the friendly waitresses, and all the delicious and fresh local produce just made me feel so happy.

On the way home from the restaurant, we visited my Granny (who told me not to put on anymore weight!) and my aunt Jo (who rebutted Granny and told me I looked great!). Then it was home sweet home, to see my beloved Barkley.

That dog is HUGE!!! I was a little shocked at his size, I have to say. His skull is the size of my two hands, I had simply forgotten that. But he had not forgotten me, and I think that made me a little sad. He still likes his belly scratched and he can 'sit' and 'be gentle' and he makes me know when he needs to go out to the toilet. It's just the same old thing, you know? And I love it. He is an absolute sweetheart and I am going to take about 1,000 photos of him. I just need to stop the urge to call him Preston....

Off to the beach today with Jem and Barkley to soak up some summer sunshine and if I get some fish & chips, that will just be an added bonus!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So good to know you're back home safe and sound! The shower and Coopers sounds a treat although I have reservations about the suitablity of doing that as the family gathered???
Barkley, the miniature horse, will never forget you, he might sit on you but never forget!

glamah16 said...

Im glad you arrived safely. It must be a wonderful feeling to be back home. Enjoy every moment of it.