Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I speak the truth, lady


Bocca della verità
Originally uploaded by S. Lo.

It was wonderful to catch up with my travel buddy Reg this morning for a quick coffee (though owing to a sore throat wannabe cold coming on, I opted for sparkling water instead). I get the real impression that we will reminisce about our travel experiences this Friday when we convene with my old work buddies for a drinks session. I am very much looking forward to that - the dedicated catch up with her, and the chance to see my old friends again.

Then it was off to lunch with a new corporate contact (I only have to do a little bit of work while I'm on my holiday!), but that was great as well. I got some insight into the music business and the inside scoop on what it means to manage a really successful jazz band. I found the lunch to be provocative and really beneficial. It was also delicious, because I had my first chicken schnitzel with mushroom sauce in nearly 2 years. Divine.

Then Jems and I spent the afternoon together, and I started the search for a frock for the Australia Day Ball in Chicago. I am resolved to come home with an Australian designer gown to show off (plus that pretty much guarantees that no one else will be wearing the same thing as me!). Anyway, I went into one store, and had to leave Jems outside with my freshly-opened Diet Coke. As I zeroed in on a very cute black sequinned number, at the rather reasonable price of $490, the matronly shop assistant came over to 'help' me and asked me whether that was my daughter standing out there with the Diet Coke. Although I heard her correctly, I thought I'd give her the opportunity to recant the statement, and so I asked her to repeat what she'd said. Again, she asked whether I was shopping with my daughter (gesturing to my sister outside the store). I returned the dress to its hanger and announced that she was my sister and I am, in fact, only 4 years older than her. Of course the woman could not apologise fast enough and basically chased me around the shop trying to backtrack over herself. Ugh. I figured that missing out on a $490 sale was probably punishment enough, so I just left the store. Sigh, I did like that dress though.

And then tonight I caught up with Reg again at my old work's Quiz Night - another first in 2 years. I love quiz nights and this one was no exception. I even won one of the raffle prizes, which is always a good thing. We didn't win, but we did come 4th, which was an admirable effort given that half my table was drunk by the end of the night. I can't cast judgement though - I don't think I'm welcome back at the State Theatre Company quiz nights for the very same reason!

Tomorrow is yet another busy day and I am trying to fight off the cold & flu germs to keep battling through. The sunshine is a good tonic though and I am really enjoying sunning myself as I wander the City streets with my sister from appointment to appointment. Though the pace is somewhat hectic, I still feel very much that this is a holiday, and I am so far enjoying every minute of it.

2 comments:

glamah16 said...

Hhahahahaha. I would have smacked her.

Unknown said...

I've heard the sun can age a person - but in 3 days, I don't think so!! Leave the dress and stick to the booze fests with or without quizzing - fantastic to have you home and promise to cruise through travel memories soon xx