Thursday, November 02, 2006

Giving Thanksgiving the bird

What a difference 24 hours can make.

Yesterday I posted about the Aussie-themed Thanksgiving dinner I was going to throw and then an initially promising guest list collapsed (like a flan in a cupboard), leaving only me and Caro to enjoy an 8-person roast lamb with all the crispy trimmings. Well screw that, and pardon my French.

So today, and admittedly in some distress, I rang Caro and spat the dummy. To hell with Thanksgiving and all it stands for. To hell with hosting dinner parties that no one will commit to. To hell with being away from my family, who I know would come if they could. I was feeling particularly sorry for myself.

And Caro did her best to talk me down from the proverbial ledge. She told me to bring the raw lamb leg to her place on Thanksgiving and we'd cook up a rich Indian curry, drink booze, and take naps all day. I love Caro.

I'm feeling better now but sometimes I just wish I could beam all my friends from home over to Chicago for an event like this. It's hard when you realise that you don't have the 'usual suspects' you can rely on to help make unfamiliar holidays like Thanksgiving nevertheless memorable.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hell we don't even need there to be an occasion to make it memorable! that's just the kinda folk we are

Anonymous said...

Never mind Gabster. You picked a tough date to compete against. Anywhooo, Australia Day is just around the corner and lamb is real big then .... you cook it and they will come .....

Sean Carter said...

Well we can make any day memorable by doing the best we can. I mean we can enjoy and celebrate with whatever little we can do. And we know there are some friends out there who would always be there. You can also visit this
Thanksgiving Blog and find out ideas that's sure to make your Thanksgiving celebrations a memorable one.

Unknown said...

well...there is always the option to enjoy thanksgiving in the wonderful state of wisconsin. no lamb, and there will be pumpkin pie. but you dont have to eat it.
and there will be wine.
but... even tho i'm 24, i still dont sit with the adults. you can join me, jeremy & lauren at the 'kids' table. and then when the 'adults' bitch about their jobs, the 'kids' go and play monopoly.

and there will be a puppy birthday party the next day. complete with puppy cake and birthday hats.

Anonymous said...

Aahhhh!!! Lexie .... I'm with you mate - go girl. What a terrific way to spend Thanksgiving - and importantly, the day after. All puppies need a birthday. Maybe the other puppy you're looking after might take you up on your offer.

Anonymous said...

Gaarbi - special occasions are all about being with friends, sharing good food, wine, and stories - and "debriefing" the next day.

Unknown said...

Debriefing??? A room full of puppies?? it's all sounding more debauched by the minute!