Monday, October 16, 2006

What not to wear


stripes
Originally uploaded by Maditi.

I looked down at myself on the bus today and realised that I need a bit of help.

Proud as I am of this fact (or not), I have not ironed a single item of my clothes since I landed in Scotland - back in May 2005. I know, I know - lame. But honestly, with the exception of hankies, tea towels and pillowcases, I have no ironing skills.

And before you start harping on about bad parenting, I'll have you know that my parents tried to teach me to iron. I even ironed a few baskets of clothes in my time, but I think they would agree that I still do not do it very well at all. Hence my complete avoidance of the chore altogether.

Which brings me back to my earlier point. On the weekend I forced myself to accept the fact that we've seen the last of the sunshine for a while. And so I hurled myself into the hall closet to dig out my winter coats that Lexie had bullied me into stuffing into a suitcase some months previous. And of course there was no easy way to extract said coats from their luggage stronghold, and I was forced to empty EVERYTHING from the closet in order to reach the stubborn suitcase. By which time I was very put out.

But I was also resolved to rescue my coats and give them some time to unfold or at least, as far as possible, to resume a relatively normal shape in time for the new work week.

So this morning, proud that I have four new jackets to choose from each day, I selected my stunning red 3/4 length coat. Only to realise on the bus that it was perhaps THE most crumpled of the four. Stellar choice there Gabs. I honestly looked like I'd been scragged out from underneat the bus bench just in time for the arrival of the 135 Downtown Express. Cheers, thanks a lot.

I know I would learn to iron a lot faster if we actually owned an iron in this apartment, but we do not. So I am now required to commit to an outfit the night before I want to wear it, and make sure I smooth it down, or re-fold it, or hang it up to drop, or do SOMETHING.

Hmm or perhaps I'll just sleep in the darn thing and so I can proudly say to my fellow bus patrons, "Yes, Madam, in fact I DID sleep in this ensemble. Thank you for noticing". Good one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So get your coats and hang them in the bathroom. Get on in there for a steamy hot shower or bath - your choice - the steam will make you all pruney and the clotehs all smooth. You're far more likely to buy anti-wrinkle products than an iron!