Thursday, October 12, 2006

...and so it begins


More Snowy Steps
Originally uploaded by Canis Major.

Chicago still has to get through Halloween and Thanksgiving before we can actually celebrate Christmas, but the stores have already started hanging decorations by the chimney with care. In fact, in some stores, it's a veritable decorative bonanza and often it's hard to tell just what holiday the stores are more eager for us to support.

But quite aside from the visual symbols that the holiday season is upon us, the weather today was a clear indicator that autumn has been given an almighty shove by the winter muscling on in.

We had snow flurries today and a top temperature of only 42 degrees (that's a walloping 5.5 degrees Celcius for those of you joining us from The Land Down Under, where women glow and men chunder).

Fortunately, I guess, I made it to work at 8.30am and didn't set foot outside again until we left for the day at 4.30pm. But it was definitely a coat, scarf, and gloves day today. If I had a beanie-worthy dome, I would have worn one of those too. I wouldn't have been alone. Everyone was sensibly rugged up against the rather shocking cold snap.

People on the bus today and around the corridors at work were stunned to witness this morning's snow storms, checking the calendar twice only to realise that yes, we ARE still only in October. Something tells me this winter may just be the fierce one we've been due all these years.

Well I say, bring it. I own one coat for every day of the week and dammit, I'll wear them all at once if I have to. I will not be beaten by the weather, I simply refuse to be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well it seems unseasonable is the thing about now - us Adelaidian's were also a little perplexed at the 38 degrees (100F for you Northies) we experienced yesterday, it's still a good 8 weeks till summer - jings!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Gab, we've had some bad bush fires already and they're looking at introducing some severe water restrictions soon eg: odd house numbers will water their lawns on Tues, Thurs and Sat. Even house numbers will water on Wed, Fri and Sun (or something like that). No watering on Mondays and not watering between the hours of 8am and 8pm. There are hefty fines too if you're caught.

Try and tell me there's no such thing as Global Warming!!!