Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Stand up and be counted

Australia's in the middle of a national Census and the Government has not forgotten its expats. We've been encouraged to complete an online survey that will hopefully give Aussies back home a fair idea of where we are and what we're doing.

I'm not sure whether other people think like this, but I believe that the boxes I get to tick in each Census show me how far I have (or have not) come since the last stocktake. Take this year's answers, for instance. I'm still within the "Under 30" age category, but not for much longer. My salary has increased, and with it the value of my personal assets. I'm able to say that I've travelled to and lived in a number of foreign countries since the last Census. So on paper at least, I'm in pretty good shape.

But there is the inevitable realisation that comes with such self-assessment that the next time this Census thing rolls around, what answers will I be able to give? Where will I be and what will I be doing? Whether it's the Cosmo quiz or the Australian census, I clearly can't help but over analyse.

So just for kicks, let's fast forward to the next time the Census makes me take stock of my life. What do I want to see? Well, I am not about to pretend to be Miss Universe and wish for world peace, nor am I going to be a Care Bear and suggest I only want a healthy and happy life. I want all those things, but on a more shallow level I really just want to stay inside the "Under 30" box. Yet I get the feeling that's the only part of the Census form I will never have any control over.

1 comment:

glamah16 said...

I don't mind the age categories moving a little, but that damn salary range doesn't seem to budge. Thats depressing.