Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Fine tuning the gay-dar


Pace
Originally uploaded by Amodiovalerio Verde.
Last night the Consulate threw a reception for the Aussie athletes in town for Chicago's Gay Games. From 6.30pm at a Downtown cafe owned by an Aussie, we entertained, schmoozed and boozed.

Mero asked Biggsy and me to be door bitches, which was fine with me. We welcomed every athlete and supporter that battled the heat and their own fatigue to join us in the cool cafe. I was madly ticking names off as people arrived and the next time I looked around, we had about 100 people there - a great turnout!

As is her way, Mero was being very humble about the event and attributing its success to all of us. But she did a great job spreading the word to the Aussies in town and making sure that they know we're here to keep them safe. Biggsy the Door Bitch was on full alert to forceably remove anyone who turned up without registering, but he didn't have to flex his muscles in the end. Everyone was well behaved.

And I've been asked to walk an Adelaide guy down the aisle at his wedding ceremony later this week. I was well chuffed. Unfortunately I have no confidence that he will have woken up this morning with any recollection of asking me. We shall see...

1 comment:

glamah16 said...

"Biggsy the door bitch"!? Ha ! I heard it all... What a appropriate job for him.