Friday, June 02, 2006

Sass in the City

I need to share a funny story and send a shout-out to the lovely lady at D'Agostinos at Wrigleyville, the store that I think makes the best pizza in Chicago.

Last Saturday night, I was sitting at Guthries Tavern on Addison with my chums, drinking beer way too quickly and losing way too convincingly at Yahtzee, when we got the urge to order pizza.

Grabbing my cell phone, I hastily dialled neighbouring D'Agostinos, knowing they would deliver a steaming pizza of deliciousness into my waiting hands within the half hour.

But when the woman answering the phones recognised my number on her sophisticated phone system she said "oh, so you're at Guthries again. Don't you ever leave?". Right. I don't know sheesh, you drunk-dial a pizza place ONE TIME, and you get sassed every time after.

Well I won't stand for that. I'm making Lexie place our order tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, you have just become that video store patron who always goes into the store on a Saturday night and therefore the store clerks know their name - except rather than be a sad-man renting movies on "date night" you are an alco-ma-holic with a pizza addiction. Time to change pubs or pizza bars!

Unknown said...

I disagree - stick with what you know, befriend the pizza lady, embrace her - not literally unless you need the human contact - of course if you do hug her she'll start thinking you're the Chicago eqivalent of the sad-man ... changed my mind, I agree!