Monday, June 05, 2006

I think we're in Africa, Toto

I bless the rains down in Africa
Recognising the glamour of Friday night, Joshua took the very kind initiative to book a car to take us to the 2006 Spring Benefit for the Lincoln Park Zoo. He hadn't counted on the fact that it would be driven by Svetlana the Russian Uber Hag. She was a terrible ambassador for her vehicle company and was almost openly hostile to us on a number of occasions. As we got out of her car at the Zoo, dispatch sent her a message to go to O'Hare airport and greet incoming passengers. Poor things. But I would not allow Svetlana and her evilness to upset my night. I was dressed to impress, and ready to party.

I hear the drums echoing tonight
Stepping into the marquee a the Lincoln Park Zoo on Friday night was unreal. I had been receiving updates from Courts throughout the day as she sweated and strained to establish the African illusion with the other half of the design team. So I had my hopes high that we would be greeted by a spectacular scene. And I was not disappointed at all. The tent looked fabulous and guests arrived in their finery to the soothing beat of African drums.

Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you
The Lincoln Park Zoo is one of the only free zoos left in the US and so its very existence relies on the generosity of benefactors and visitors. Even after-hours, the entertainment continues. Like Benefits guests riding the carousel in tuxedos and ball gowns. Let me tell you, working out how to get on that fibreglass elephant and riding side-saddle was an effort! But it was like being a kid again and we were all smiling and laughing as the carousel went around and around.

Retiring to the jazz band bar in the Lion House to catch our breath also gave us a chance to say hello to a rather irritable lioness who really just wanted to get some sleep, and couldn't understand why all these two-legged creatures had invaded her home. The lion didn't seem to mind, as he balanced like a yoga master across a beam and STILL managed to sleep soundly.

The wild dogs cry out in the night
The musical entertainment at the Benefit was wonderful, and I wasted no time in dragging Irene and Caro around the dancefloor. Josh and Tristan refused to boogie, but I would not be so easily dissuaded. To the strains of Van Morrison and Lynard Skynard, the girls and I wiggled and shimmied around the floor. And I didn't fall over once.

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
But then, like all things, the night came to a close and Courts dropped us home. My feet and my body were just exhausted but I was so content. And really proud of my friend, who put in so much effort to please so many people. I don't think there was a doubt in anyone's mind that this Benefit was a superb celebration and fundraiser for the Zoo. I am looking forward to the next opportunity to party with these people, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will count you to support all my events.Glad you enjoyed it. Svetlana needs to chill at the Macedonian Lounge. Gumby roused the lions bt throwing ice cubes at them.