Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Will that be chicken or fish?


IMG_0413
Originally uploaded by luigilly.
It is now 10pm and I've come back to the Office after dining with the Prime Minister. And 200 of his closest friends.

And yes, I got to meet him. And no, he didn't comment on my lack of gift-wrapping skills. But yes, I did make a typical fool of myself.

I haven't met many celebrities in my time; indeed I have only ever met one (Missy Higgins - my mate Missy, as it were) so I still get a little star struck over the A, B, and C-listers. In terms of how much of a geek I am when I meet people, it's all the same to me - I'm a severe case of blabber-mouth every time.

And our Prime Minister, like him or not, is about as A-list as they get in Australia. Here in Chicago tonight, he was the Guest of Honor, the Head of State, The Big Cheese. And it is his custom at these events, as I found out, to "work the room" afterwards and to shake hands with everyone that came along. Of course that charmed the Americans no end, but it made me very nervous. What would I say to our nation's leader?

Would I do as Reg suggested and indicate I sat on his head at Gallipoli (and then seem shocked and offended that he did not remember me)? Or should I give him a high-5 and say something like "top speech, mate"?

I did neither of those things. Instead, in my best high-pitched, shrill voice, I shrieked - all in one word, "Hi-I'm-Gab-and-I-work-for-the-Consulate-and-it's-so-great-to-meet-you". In an equally shrill voice, doing a superb parody of me I might add, the PM replied "Do you?! That's great. It's nice to meet you too". And he spoke in clear sentences. He's such a show off.

But I know he cared really. Plus Mrs Howard wore a black velvet jacket to tonight's dinner and I want it. Thou shalt covet thy First Lady's apparel. Well, some of it. She can keep the pillbox hats and matching shoes. Just hand over the velvet jacket and no one gets hurt.

4 comments:

glamah16 said...

Better be careful, or you could end up in a cell with Gumby for extorting the jacket.

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to "here let me hold your jacket while you fix your make-up" and then scarper.

Anonymous said...

And not a party pie or a party pasty anywhere in the house????

Unknown said...

What no witty banter - no 'Hey Johnno, glad to see you finally got the eyebrows on a leash, try the veal I'll be here all week' Boom tish