Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Punching Above His Weight

Having named her new puppy Preston, in honour of a character in the movie
"Can't Hardly Wait", Lexie has been working really hard to make sure that
our four-legged fellow tenant feels right at home, but also learns what he
can and can't do.

In the course of just a few days, and after a rather rocky start, Preston no
longer has 'accidents' on the floor boards or the carpets. Instead, he has
learned the purpose of the piddle pad, and furthermore lets Lexie know when
he needs to go outside to do his other business. What a smart dog, and for
only 4 months of age too!

And last night when I got home, the weather was so beautiful and balmy that
I took it upon myself to liberate the puppy and take him for a walk around
the block. He's a dog after my own heart, because he first tried to crash
through the glass door of the liquor store, and then followed his nose into
the Mexican restaurant for a refreshing margarita. Bless.

But it was the encounter with two boisterous Boxers that really made me
laugh. Preston really does punch above his weight. He clearly thinks he is
much bigger than he actually is. Seeing the big dogs through the fence, he
crouched down in a playful pose and started yapping to get their attention.
It worked. The Boxers were curious about the small, white ball of fluff
maniacally bouncing around and barking all the while. One of the Boxers
even put his paw through the fence and swatted Preston on the head. It was
a canine game of tag, and Preston was up for it. Together we bounded along
the fence, Preston carrying on like a proverbial porkchop, much to the
amusement of the Boxers and their owners. But he was loving it! While I
secretly hoped that the fence between us and the Boxers would hold, I
neverthless permitted the game to continue until Preston had effectively
barked himself hoarse and sat down in the middle of the pavement to collect
himself.

Before I knew it, we'd been out walking for an hour, and hadn't even left my
street. The puppy was very well-behaved on his leash and (I know, I know),
he has me wrapped around his little paw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chester's my friend coz he's so brave and strong!

kilabyte said...

You're lucky Barkley can't read or else ..........