Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Just a smidge


Moet&Chandon
Originally uploaded by flyone1106.
When I arrived in Chicago in October, my first social engagement was a visit to "The Tasting Room", and I remember it as a cool and friendly wine bar with the best view of the Chicago cityscape I have ever seen.

So I did not hesistate when Courts and Biggsy invited me back there last night. And imagine my surprise when Biggsy scammed us free tickets to the wine tasting happening upstairs!

Grabbing my tasting sheet and wine glass from Bridget at the door, I took one lap of the room before committing to a location, and that gave me a good chance to examine the offerings on each of the five tables.

The theme of last night's tasting was "Bordeaux and Loire", so I was invited to sample a range of different wines from these two French regions. Reg and I had been to Bordeaux on our travels (and were none too impressed with the wine tour we did), but Katie speaks highly of the Loire, so I was looking forward to that.

And like the proper wine rookie I am, I sought advice from the sommeliers and even engaged the owner of "The Tasting Room" in conversation about the wines being exhibited. He talked, I listened, and nodded, sniffed, and sipped.

My tasting sheet is now full of ticks and crosses, as well as helpful little adjectives like "nice"; "smelly"; and "earthy". And when asking for a particular wine to sample, I was even able to pronounce the French name, rather than ask for "a smidge of number 37 thanks, Chief".

I didn't buy any wines, but I did enjoy myself and I even sampled some dessert wines, which I don't normally do. [For the soaks among you, my favourite - for the record - was the 2004 Roger Moreaux Les Bouffants, Sancerre, at a very reasonable $17.99 a bottle from all good retailers].

We must have made a good impression, or at least behaved ourselves because as we were leaving, Bridget invited us back for the Pinot Noir tasting just after Easter. Aww, bless.

I wonder if Biggsy will be able to scam us freebies for that one too?

3 comments:

kilabyte said...

I guess the dozen 2001 ToeJamb Perignon Kardonnay in the cellar will no longer be required now that you have cultivated your palate???? Guess I'll simply have to put the "paint stripper" labels back on and redo the Material Safety Data Sheets.

Unknown said...

Turn my head, don't let me swallow my tongue, and we'll all get along famously. I was OHS&W staff rep at work remember - had the hard hat and everything. Actually, I ripped that off the Fire Warden but it went with my handbag. Caused confusion at times, but I looked fabulous.

Unknown said...

More than 2 wines - not a very authenic Bordeaux wine tasting is it? I know this because ...