Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Once more, with feeling...


Awwww
Originally uploaded by reggiebrown.
The US immigration officer viewed my passport with interest. "So, a bit of a globetrotter are we?", he mused in my direction. I suppose that catching 4 planes in as many days will give you such a reputation.

And so it is that I have returned "home" to Chicago after a whirlwind (extra) long weekend in Glasgow. You might recall I blogged a little while ago about the bizarre fact that it was cheaper for me to fly back to Scotland to collect my last piece of luggage personally, than it was to outsource such collection to an international movers company. Strange, but true. So I boarded a plane last Thursday afternoon, was delayed for what seemed an eternity, reached Heathrow with precious little time to spare to breeze through customs, and make my connecting flight to Glasgow.

Seeing Batreg's smiling face at Glasgow International Airport was just wonderful. I hadn't realised how much I had missed her, and once I got over squealing about how much her hair had grown, I babbled the whole way home about how flat and green Scotland is from the air. Bless her heart, she didn't even comment on how much crap I talked in such a short car ride.

Must be used to it by now - or something.

Returning to Betty & Armand's place was great. Their house looks very different to the flowery and evergreen place I left three months ago. Winter has obliterated all the flowers in the front yard, and the trees are all bare and ghostly-looking. A brown, desolate atmosphere, to be sure, but nevertheless a really beautiful one. But enough of the nature talk.

After I'd enjoyed a restorative shower, Reg and I motored into Paisley to enjoy a cheap lunch and a catchup talk. It was great to realise that in a crowded city like Chicago, at least the locals respect personal space and give you time to groove. In Paisley, I had forgotten that personal space is a luxury to be enjoyed. And even then, the locals want to share that luxury with you, to a degree that sends one positively barmy. I had also forgotten how damn ugly the men are there. Sorry, I know it's not polite but boy, the dental work on these locals has to be seen to be believed!

By 7pm Friday, I had hit the proverbial wall, and had a strong desire to sleep forever. But I didn't need to, because Reg woke me up at around 10.30am the next day, so we could make good on our promise to each other to tour Glasgow city centre in the double-decker tourist bus.

What fun that day was! The weather was cold, but clear, and the tour bus took us on a great circuit of the city. We saw cathedrals and colleges, and George Square right in the centre of the city. It was hard to believe that the site of such splendid architecture used to be a place to hang laundry! And did you know that the Glasgow City Council Chambers are used whenever films want to feature the Vatican? Apparently the marble work and the art inside resembles the splendour of the Vatican (where you're not allowed to film anyway, so don't even ask). A quick Aussie beer at the Walkabout Pub completed the day's events. Ahh bless the Scots - bad teeth, great architecture.

Saturday night was a write-off, thanks to copious Black Russians (the beverage kind) and there may have been top-up vodka and lemons to follow. There was nothing to envy about our condition on Sunday morning, let me tell you. Between me, Reg, and Betty, the concept of a decent 'technicolour yawn' is no longer a foreign one. Oh well, as they say "one in, all in".

Sunday afternoon's flight back to Manchester was uneventful, and the overnight accommodation even more so. But by Monday morning, my hangover had worn off, and I was ready to return to the Windy City.

Reg heads home later this month, and is looking forward to soaking up the sun (given that the northern hemisphere hasn't seen much of that recently). I will not enjoy knowing that she's no longer in this half of the world, but I'm hoping to tempt her back soon enough.

As I went through the motions of bag searches, passport checks, and long check-in queues, I had to admit to myself that it's a bit tough to be back at work. I mean, it's one thing to have a great job and good friends, but I must confess that I do miss the jetsetting lifestyle I enjoyed for the last 8 months or so. Oh well, I'm sure my time will come again and when it does, there'll be no stopping me.

1 comment:

kilabyte said...

Glad you had a good time and was able to effect a nicer closure. Now back to the grind. How many free pages left in the passport???