Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Forgetting Auld Acquaintances...and all the words


happy-new-year!
Originally uploaded by the tomahawk kid.
When Robbie Burns penned his infamous ditty about a million years ago I'm sure that his fellow Scots understood all the words. But not so these days, I don't think. Yes I know there will be some brainiacs out there who will comment on this post and give me the lexicographical genesis of the words and their associated meanings.

But I think that Robbie Burns was a nutty Scotsman who loved nothing more than a decent dram of whiskey and a sing-a-long with mates, whose names he had all but forgotten by midnight.

And in deference to the man and his extraordinary jolly sense of fun, we raise our glasses on 31 December at the stroke of midnight, and sing a robust toast (in Scottish no less!) to remember our friends, past and present. No one cares that the words are a jumble, because the accompanying oompah-style dance of linked arms, silly hats, and sincere expression resonate with everyone.

After a quiet Christmas, I resolved (there's that verb again!) to get out and about on New Year's. I joined my work friends Justin and Lisa, and Lisa's friend Jeff, at a bar in Lincoln Park, about 10 minutes from my apartment. The bar is called Maeve's and is just gorgeous. Wooden decor, dark floorboards, and friendly bar staff. For five hours - and $80 - we enjoyed an all you can eat/drink smorgasboard. The night was great fun, with lots of good music (ranging from Elvis to Johnny Cash to 1980s pop and everything in between). We celebrated the New York countdown (at 11pm our time), and then had a big countdown of our own at midnight. The bar had a really good crowd and we all mixed well and danced and carried on, till I collapsed into bed at around 2am.

A good effort, and will not be forgotten for the sake of auld lang's syne...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When singing Auld Lang Syne and in doubt of the words - sing vowel sounds - I have been for years. :)

Parisienne said...

There are more words after the auld lang syne bit?