Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Please Mr Postman, look and see...


Pict3898 Christmas Backgrounds
Originally uploaded by HippieDude.
When I turned 18, my friend Naomi promised me that every birthday from then onwards could legitimately be made to last a week. She reasoned that it was the prerogative of all legal adults to maximise as much celebration time as possible from such events.

And tradition can stick its "12 Days of Christmas" as far as I'm concerned. I think the Naomi Theory of Celebrations suggests a more concentrated and hard-core approach to celebration that appeals to me a great deal more.

So I have decided to stretch this yuletide celebration out, and the US Postal Service has done its part by sending me two huge boxes of gifts from my family. Sure the gifts arrived late, but the tardiness has only served to help me in my mission to maximise the Christmas spirit and extend the holiday.

And boy did I score well this year! Thanks to my sister, I even have a New Year's Eve outfit all stitched up! This gift was a particularly hit, because it proved to me that clearly Jems subscribes to the Naomi Theory of Celebrations too and for that, I am happy.

But as any sugar-coated Christmas television special will drum into you over and over again, Christmas isn't about what gifts you get. And at the risk of turning this blog into a kamikaze mission of bleeding-hearted soppiness, I have to agree. The hands-down best part of my Christmas break was staying up until 4am Chicago time, talking to my family back home. I didn't even mind being passed around like a hot potato on the phone. I got a chance to work the room, and all I had to do was lie on my bed in my PJs and chat. Fabaloose.

And though I didn't have a White Christmas this year, I did have a good one. And I'm really glad that even though I was miles away, my family managed to make me feel like part of their day too. And I will remember that for every day of this week, as I continue my efforts to keep the Christmas spirit high, Naomi-style.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

stolat.....stolat.....

now, don't forget to use the lighter coloured eye shadow in the inner corners of your eye to make your eyes look bigger. The darker one can be used to in the crevis bit of your eye and/or along the eye lashes to help darken them....

I tried about 30 different red lip glosses (well, slight exaggeration - but only slight!) so it should look lurvely all together.

The top is a cross over thing - I found it best to cross at the front first and then the back, then the front and then tie at the back.....not that I tried it on **grin**

I'm taking photo's at Amy's NYE party (coz I bought a new top instead of the pink one with sequins) so you have to do the same!

Unknown said...

I will do my best with the makeup, and try not to tangle myself in the top. I have visions of being trussed up like a Christmas ham in it though...

I didn't know you had a pink top with sequins. I think I need to see those NYE photos when you're done - how many outfits did you plan?!