Thursday, November 03, 2005

PDAs


Russia
Originally uploaded by Barrybar.

In this age of technology, you might be fooled into thinking that this latest blog post will examine Personal Data Assistants. But that's a load of rot.

Today I'd like to muse on the Public Display of Affection. Because this very European custom has 'crossed the pond' and boarded my bus.

This morning I had a tough time keeping my breakfast down as I watched a man look for his keys down his girlfriend's throat - using his tongue. Well, I just assume he was searching for his keys...I'm not sure.

Oblivious to other passengers around them, the smoochers groped and fondled their way into Downtown Chicago. And sitting right opposite them, I didn't know where to look. I didn't want to stare, yet it was a sight so engrossing, I couldn't look away. I'm sure my fellow spectators were wondering would he find his keys? would he lose his tongue? would they come up for air? would she morph into a preying mantis and bite off his head? could I really BE that lucky?

I'm not unfamiliar with this kissy-face practice, don't get me wrong. In 2001, I visited Paris for a weekend by myself. I had heard tell of Parisian Pashing Proclivities, but did not actually notice them to a great extent until I was atop the Eiffel Tower. Sheesh, it was like a 'kiss-a-thon' up there! From that point onwards, Paris was full of smooching locals and tourists at every turn. Nice work, if you can get it.

But until this morning, I hadn't noticed much tonsil hockey in the public arena of Chicago. And at the risk of sounding too conservative, I thought that was just fine by me. But now that I've copped an eyeful, so to speak, perhaps I could ask that such activities be reserved for a more commuter-friendly timeslot? Time and place, people, time and place.

3 comments:

kilabyte said...

Can't comment about Paris becoz I was being too careful watching the pavement for doggy doodoo .... that stuff gets on your shoes and it tends to follow you around.

As for the other two ... they may have been paramedic students practicing mouth-to-mouth in preparation for upcoming exams???? or, diving students practicing the "buddy" method of breathing under water??? or .....

Anonymous said...

In the words of Mum after having seen "Merchants of Bollywood" at the Festival Theatre on Wednesday night "I just found it distasteful"

But when in Chiago.......

And knowing your belief of "buy me a drink first before you touch me", you might get lucky lots considering you're in the boys district where they have the best cafes, restuarants and night clubs.

I say "Kiss away!"

(and then send me an e-mail all about it!)

Unknown said...

It may BE Boystown, but it's not me they're interested in unfortunately. But yes Jems, you will be the first to hear from me if I smooch with someone. Anyone.