Thursday, November 03, 2005

Howdy pilgrim


Turkey
Originally uploaded by cabeh.
I clock up my one-month anniversary in Chicago this week, and I can scarcely believe it.

I have spent my first month making friends; moving house; getting a bank account; and trying to make myself understood the whole way.

Sure, the guy in Starbucks loves my accent and gives me a leery smile each morning, so I know I'm surviving on the last issue at least.

But one thing I am still trying to wrap my brain around is the American holiday calendar. Working for an Australian Government organisation, I am in the unique position to get a combination of American and Australian public holidays each year.

One of the American holidays I'm blessed with is Thanksgiving. People have told me that it takes place at the end of November, but my brain just won't retain it. I'm still in Aussie mode and eagerly awaiting Christmas. Skip right over this turkey-eating business and give me Christmas crackers!

I'm not even sure what I'm doing for Thanksgiving this year, but I know that it will involve yams and pumpkin pie - two dishes I'm not so keen on. I will keep a tub of Ben & Jerry's icecream in the freezer, just in case (Chunky Monkey is my favourite right now, since you asked).

But as Bill Bryson reminds me, Thanksgiving is America's favourite holiday because it doesn't involve too much decorating, or any cards or gifts. You just turn up somewhere, eat until you can't move, and then go home. Or not.

Now WHY isn't that holiday sticking in my head, when it all sounds so agreeable?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are what you eat.....

Chunky Monkey!


hahah

(which makes me Vegemite - with very rosy cheeks)

Unknown said...

And it also makes you clinically insane. Back away from the Vegemite jar....