Wednesday, November 16, 2005

And it begins


Surreal Descent
Originally uploaded by TeeveesBella.
Next time you go to the supermarket, wander to the Frozen Foods aisle. Make a space in the freezer by clearing aside the frozen pizzas, vegetables, and party pies. Then climb in and try and get as close to the frozen air jets as you can. Better yet, deposit yourself in one of the freezers with a lid or doors. Then you will immediately have empathy for my walk to work this morning.

I wore my stockings, long boots, North Face jacket, scarf, and woollen gloves. I had a delicious coffee in my system, but the cold wind blasted my face and dried out my eyeballs. And of course it was only -2 degrees Celcius. They tell me it gets MUCH worse than this. And I'm forced to believe them, because Chicagoans were walking past me this morning with regular jackets and without gloves or beanies.

There was no snow on my walk to work this morning, despite the forecast, but perhaps it was falling in the suburbs. The weather is bad in the Midwest, with tornadoes and hail reported in Indiana. We don't need to worry about the tornadoes coming up to Chicago though, because the city scape is too dense to give the tornadoes sufficient space to spread out and cause enough destruction. But between the buildings here, that is another story. The wind is cold and fierce and seems to target me especially. My ears were cold, my hair felt frozen, and my cheeks hurt. And it was only -2 degrees Celcius this morning.

As I type this of course, the first of winter's snowfalls has begun. It's not very enthusiastic right now, but it is definitely there, and it is hitting the ground. I know I will acclimatise eventually, but right now I am just staring at it and shivering.

I wonder if I can rig up a pair of hot water bottles as ear muffs? I am sure if I can assemble an IKEA bedside table, I'm capable of just about anything. And coming up with that nutty suggestion just proves it.

Oh dear.

No comments: