Sunday, October 30, 2005

The night the Tooth Fairy got narky


zombie stare I
Originally uploaded by Jay.

The Halloween party was great last night. Caro and I got all dressed up, though it took me a while to get my makeup right. I didn't have the face paint to make my goth eyes to look scary enough. But I got there in the end.

I pinned my costume up at the back, because I put my foot through the hem a few times and nearly face-planted. And that was BEFORE I'd started drinking. So the costume alterations were required early in the night.

Caro dressed as a fallen angel, and wore the black eye and busted arm to prove just how far she'd fallen. The blonde wig was a nice touch, and the false eyelashes just added to the theatrics.

I made a great punch for the pre-party at Rakesh and Nicolette's. Their converted warehouse apartment west of Downtown is simply gorgeous. A great view of the Sears Tower from their balcony, and a really quiet location to boot. I was fairly liberal with the vodka for the punch, so I think that helped both punch bowls to empty fairly early in the night. As a result, most of us switched to Jack & coke for the remainder of the night (a blessed reunion, if you don't mind me saying so). Rakesh lowered himself sufficiently to play 80s music for me at the party, and no one minded when I requested Madonna's Immaculate Collection on the stereo. Rakesh's friend from Ireland danced along with me and knew all the words. Comforting and not just a little surprising. His rendition of "Like A Virgin" was pretty good actually.

Once we'd all checked our face paint one last time, we walked a few blocks towards the City to find cabs. The girls (plus Rakesh) squished into one cab and made our way to Sonotheque, the club with the Russian bouncer. Sadly he didn't remember me, but given my goth get-up, it's hardly surprising. The music was as crap as ever, and I just can't bring myself to find the rhythm for house music. I just looked like I'm flailing around, and I don't want that!

But my dancing wasn't what was attracting attention last night; rather, it was the fact that we were the only costumed people there. Niiiiiiice.

Just as it was looking scary for us, the tooth fairy arrived. Imagine the tooth fairy on speed, and this is the creature that was leaping around on the dancefloor. She was having a fantastic time - and I loved her costume. The front of her leotard bore the warning to children everywhere: Give me your f&*!ng teeth! I loved it.

And then I went to the ladies room, and emerged to find myself face-to-face with a gypsy queen from Los Angeles. Who decided she was uncomfortable in her costume. And decided to take it off right in front of the mirror. While talking to me. Not a comfortable position for me to be in. The gypsy didn't seem to mind but, then again, she was from LA. She probably wasn't even in costume really.

Declaring what I already knew (that Sonotheque was crap), Caro and I bade everyone a fond farewell, and paid a quick stop-off to the 24 hour diner around the corner from our place. There we met Marilyn Monroe, Colonel Sanders, a few vampires and a couple of extra zombies. But no more tooth fairies or disrobing gypsies. Phew!

So we've woken up this morning feeling human again and packing the goth gear and face paint away for another year. I had a great time for my first Halloween, but it was largely due to the people I was with. We all made an effort with our costumes, and pledged to do the same again next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great read Gab.

Am so bummed now I wasn't there to be a goof ball with you all!

I like the sound of the Fairy Costume - haha.

Why didn't you go as a Private from Puckerpunyal? (spelling??) You did that so well at Rosie and Henks! HAHAHAH awww funny times.

Anonymous said...

Now I saw this movie once (only once) where a creep was running around in a Halloween mask and black cape and a big Fn knife. Mwahhaaaa Mwahhaaa (maniacal laughter)