Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Kindness of Passengers


DSCN5666
Originally uploaded by slabbers.
My flight from Milan to Glasgow was an eventful one, and all the action started at Milan airport.

First of all, two guys from Scotland were ahead of me in the check-in queue. They both wore jeans (with belts) that were not up around their waist; rather they were slung at butt-crack level, and their unattractive undies poked out the top. Foul.

Then one of them started sniffing. And not a discreet sniff, either. This was a snuff-sniff. One that is generated right from the chest and is a sound you'd expect a tuberculosis sufferer to come out with. Double foul.

So when I was frisked by the airport staff after having every page of my passport scrutinised, I figured that the was the icing on the proverbial cake.

When I was one of the first people on the flight, I figured I'd scored a winner, and my day was turning around.

Wrong.

I sat in Row 6. Apparently the first 6 rows of the plane were out of bounds. Did anyone tell us? No. So I had to move, after all the rest of the rabble had come onto the flight and picked their seats. The luxury of an early boarding was absolutely wasted.

But then I sat next to Lesley and Angela. They bought me coffee on the flight and we talked the whole way. When we arrived at Glasgow airport I bought them a coffee and we talked for an hour more.

Leaving me at the airport for my connecting flight to London, they drove off to their farm 2 hours away. But if they had have sprouted wings and floated off to heaven, I would not have been a bit surprised. Sometimes there ARE good eggs out there, and it is a joy to find them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was very nice of the ladies Gab to buy you coffee and stay with you at the airport for another hour before your connecting flight.

You're right, there are some good eggs out there. Just have to get passed the snuff-sniffing, grotty jock wearing, butt exposing grommits first!

Unknown said...

Poetry Jemma, pure poetry!