Monday, October 24, 2005

Here's Johnny!


fall branches
Originally uploaded by Funki Sock Munki.
Given the hailstorm that pelted my suburb on Saturday afternoon, I should have guessed that the cold snap was on its way.

According to my online weather monitor, in Chicago today, the temperature did not rise above 8 degrees Celcius. Single digits, people!

There was a nasty accident on the North Lakeshore Drive today and, from the warmth of the bus, I couldn't help but wonder how cars manage to pile up like that in seemingly bumper-to-bumper traffic. All I can say is that if those drivers walked away from the accident, they should go and buy a lottery ticket.

But the weather is not all bad. Fortunately I now live in a country where you can have anything delivered. Is it lunch time and it's too cold outside? Order in! And so it was that after a quick whip-round the Office for last minute orders, a near frost-bitten chap presented me with a hot chicken roll in record time. I was grateful, and I tipped accordingly.

Fast food nation? Definite plus. Cold wind blowing up your trouser legs on the walk home? Not so great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now if only there was a way to get warm-hot door-to-door transport services as well.

I'm told you only need it between mid-October and mid-April, after that Spring settles in for 1 month followed by 1 month of Summer and 3 months of Autumn.

If it gets too cold, you can do like the street people .... filch a newspapaer and wrap sheets around your body. People aren't staring at you, they're only reading the headlines ... you have to be careful where you put the headlines.

kilabyte said...

Hey, where's the weather pixie??? We can't laff at you during our summer if we can't see the weather over there. Pity you can't work from home. Have you got your longer term accommodation settled yet??

Unknown said...

I am still adjusting to the seasons here - I am assured there is a definite summer, which puts Chicago just ahead of Scotland in my weather estimations!

And at this stage, the front runner in the accommodation stakes is the vintage flat with heating. Lots of heating.