Sunday, October 23, 2005

Do you reside here?


The Face Of The Fountain
Originally uploaded by Kalabird.

One of the good things about speaking in a foreign accent is that I don't need to worry about telemarketers or filling out surveys on street corners.

When someone walks up to me in the City, with a clipboard and a serious expression that clearly means they need my help with something, I can utter the useful phrase: Sorry, I'm not from here - I'm just visiting friends.

Ahh instant freedom. Yes it's a lie, but that's tough. If they're not offering any freebie incentive to complete their little survey, I ain't playing.

But there are times when it pays to be a local. The City of Chicago's website features very useful information for residents of this beautiful city. The site talks about things to do on weekends; what new city developments are springing up; and restaurants you simply MUST visit dahling.

The one thing that I really enjoy reading about right now is the Chicagoween celebrations for 2005. The whole city is getting right behind Halloween celebrations and the Daley Plaza (named after the Mayor) in the centre of the city is the place to be seen this Scary Season. The City has got haunted El trains (the Elevated trains you see on "ER"); haunted houses; ghoulish karaoke contests - the town is going off!

But outside of the Downtown area, things are also getting festive. The photo attached to this posting was taken in Milennium Park, where a series of facial photographs are digitally displayed on a giant waterfall/board. Every now and again during summer, the lips of the face pucker up and a water jet shoots out of its mouth, drenching the kids playing in the puddles. Obviously a great way for the kids to spend a hot Chicago day.

Quite clearly it's way too cold for those shenanigans right now, but that hasn't stopped the Mayor's Office. If you go down to Milennium Park now, you'll see that the water is now a brilliant shade of orange, and still gets shot out of puckered lips to the delight of the masses. Just because you're not playing in the water, doesn't mean you can't enjoy it I suppose.

And can you believe that the photos and water jet etc are all controlled via satellite from Atlanta!? Weird.

I suppose if I keep stockpiling little bits of trivia like that, I'm going to have to admit to living here soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey gab

great to see u have adopted chicago as your home - certainly getting into the swing of things there

sounds like a nice place to be

got your dmart long johns? - as u know it gets kinda coolish there ;)

PS: phill says hi!

Unknown said...

Would you believe I left them in Scotland, but they're ready to be shipped out to me whenever I give the word.

But between you and me, a shopping trip to Marshall Fields for some temporary woollies is on the cards for this weekend. I don't think I can wait for my Scottish imports!