Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Golden Ticket

I went out earlier tonight to the gourmet supermarket down the road from Caroline's place.

It is called "Treasure Island", rather appropriately as it turns out. For it provides aisle after aisle of products from both the US and overseas.

No Vegemite, but I got over that when I saw the Lindt chocolates, and the Hershey brand mass. Milk Duds are my current favourite - gooey caramel bits coated in chocolate. A bit like smaller Cobbs from back home. But they purport to have 35% less fat than other leading brands, and I believe it. Really I do.

There was even a fridge down the back of the store, containing - wait for it - LIVE LOBSTER. I wanted to ask how one would transport a live lobster home, but I chickened out.

At the cash register, I was asked another typical Americanism, "Paper or Plastic?". I giggled inside...they really do say that. So I caved under pressure and took both. A paper back reinforced by a heavy plastic one outside.

But don't worry folks - I will reuse the bags, because old greenie habits die hard after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also highly recommend you try Ben and Jerry's icecream if you haven't already.. There is no better icecream!!