Thursday, October 06, 2005

All credit to the VISA section


IMG_3668
Originally uploaded by philippi.
I made it!

At this very moment I am in the centre of Chicago, at its very snazzy youth hostel.

After getting to bed at 2am, to rise again at 5.45am, to fly for 9 hours (two separate flights), I'm a little spaced so forgive me.

First impressions of Chicago, eh? Okay, here goes:

- green, leafy trees
- buildings that look like a pin cushion (at least from the plane)
- foggy/smoggy/cloudy
- lakes and golf courses
- defined neighbourhoods and house properties (very un-UK)
- United Airlines planes look like Air Force one (intimidating paintwork)
- O'Hare airport is a microcosm of the City; loads of languages, loads of pushy people
- 8 lane expressways
- SUVs and big Chevys really do exist
- Ditto people wearing cowboy hats in public, but perhaps these are real cowboys??
- the black men have rich, soulful speaking voices
- one man has already given me the Rikki Lake headbob (Girrrrrlfriend)


So there you have it. I've been in town for 2 hours and all I've seen is the airport, the shuttle bus, and the youth hostel.

Am now planning tomorrow's activities, which will include a meeting with my new employer. Tres exciting.

Mwa mwa from this corner of the world, dahlings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rich, soul speaking voices? I like it already.

Please take pics and post them on your blog - I'd love to see them. And make sure you take pics of the people you work with and hang around with so when you talk about them I know what they look like. :) Coz I'm "sniffy" like that.

While I feel braindead today after having presented a 4 hours Umpires Course with a class of 20 girls aged between 12-15 and yet I still dont' think that would compare to your travel!!

Stay safe and will keep an eye on your updates xoxo