Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Summer Days, Drifting Away


Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you...

In addition to being Crowded House lyrics, I am putting the call out to anyone to please take the rain and cold away from Scotland. If I had wanted this drizzle and cold wind I would have stayed home for the Adelaide winter.

I knew that Scotland would be chilly and snowy eventually, but I figured I would be safe until winter. I didn't think it would be this way in summer. And that's what the calendar tells me we're in: summer. But the grey sky I see outside my window today is clearly protesting the date.

Everyone knows that howling winds and frosty air is the sort of weather you're happy to experience at home, lying like a loungeroom lizard on a beanbag, with a steaming cup of coffee and a trashy midday movie. These are not the sort of conditions you want first thing in the morning, when walking down the mainstreet, laden with work bags, battling to ensure that your cheap umbrella doesn't turn you into Mary Poppins. Up, up, and awaaaay? No thanks.

No comments: