Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Quit it already!


Warning: Ill-informed rant to follow!


I have seriously had enough of reading about explosions; terrorism; bombs; suspicious packages; and other nasties. I don't want to open my newspaper websites to read about yet another attempt by wackos to destroy the way of life of Londoners. Leave the innocent people alone and give me some good news for once. Seriously, does nothing good happen in this world anymore?

Why can't these crazy people (original terrorists and the even crazier copycats) just tolerate difference and get over it? I know I'm simplifying their many issues, but that's because no-one can tell the likes of me why they do what they do. And anyway, I'm on my soapbox now so you'll have to put up with me.

Like everyone, I've had to read about the tragic aftermath of such carry-on. Given that speculation is all we're ever left with after events like London, Turkey, New York, and Bali, I want to throw out this challenge to the lunatics causing this devastation: If you've got a statement to make, stand somewhere public and make it. Don't strap a bomb to your back and go ka-boom in relative anonymity, taking innocent people out with you. Don't wait until CCTV cameras identify you (before the City morgue does) and leave us to wonder what you might have intended by your crazy antics. Be mature, grab your balls (if it helps), and tell us what you want, rather than letting itty bitty pieces of your body do the talking. I know there are thousands of people out there who, in a twisted way, would think I have a point.

Phew, rant over. We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

No comments: