Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Clootie and Champers

I admit to being a little apprehensive about my birthday every year. I know that 28 isn't old, but I don't go in for those big bells-and-whistles birthdays; preferring instead to settle down to a quiet family/friends dinner. And so you can understand why this year's birthday was always going to be a little different. Being in Scotland, away from my family and friends, meant that this year's celebration was not the highest point on my social agenda.

But I was well and truly spoiled this year, with a Dinner and Drinks package that proved just as good as any Aussie nosh-up. Betty whipped up a garlic-infused roast lamb with all the trimmings, plus a jam-filled sponge cake with candles on top. Washed down with some Aussie bubbly courtesy of my equally-parched travelling companion. Armand, who is very anti-birthdays generally, even joined in the chorus of 'Happy Birthday', much to the surprise and amusement of us all.

Following the cake, we enjoyed a traditional Scottish birthday treat - the Clootie Dumpling. I know, it doesn't sound all that flash, but it is actually really delicious. And quite versatile, if you believe Betty - and I do. The dumpling looks and tastes like a Chrismas pudding and is made in much the same way. To eat it, you can cover it in custard; or apparently you can fry slices of it in butter and serve it warm. Alternatively, you can just eat is cold and plain, as we did.

All in all, a deliciously satisfying 28th birthday with my adopted friends and family. And the sun even shone for me, which I thought was a nice touch.

No comments: