Monday, July 04, 2005

Going to Edinburgh was a 'capital' idea

I am back at work this morning, having spent the weekend in Edinburgh, the capital city of Scotland. The posts in the lead-up to this journey made much of the "Make Poverty History" march, and the thousands of people who would effectively be making a pilgrimage to Edinburgh to participate in it.

I needn't have worried about the crowds, as it turns out. If you know me at all, you'll have worked out that I'm not much of a morning person. I can get up and out the house early if I have to, but it's not my idea of a good time. So given this side of myself, and the crowds I knew would be descending on the Scottish capital, AB and I did not care about being on Saturday's first train to Edinburgh. In fact, we did not set off until after 11am.

We caught the bus to Paisley, as I do every morning to come to work. It was a surprise for our bus driver to see AB and I clamber on the skinny, white-knuckle-ride bus with our mini suitcases and casual garb. If our luggage didn't give us away, we were all smiles and hopeful expressions, so the bus driver knew we were off on an adventure of some kind, I'm sure.

The train to Glasgow Central left shortly after we arrived at the station, so we didn't need to wait around at all. I was a bit apprehensive, because I knew that upon arrival at Glasgow, we'd need to walk through the City to Glasgow Queen Street station, and change trains for Edinburgh. But Glasgow is a super-easy city to get around, and finding Queen Street was dead simple. Both stations are clean and modern, and the trains are smooth and run on time. The journey to Edinburgh took about 45 minutes and though there was not much scenery to admire, we did pass through some lovely towns that warrant a return visit when we have time.

Arriving at Edinburgh Waverly station was not the crush of people I was expecting. Lots of people wearing white (as Sir Bob had asked people to do), made me feel guilty for forgetting and instead wearing my khaki green ANZAC tshirt. Bummer, missed that one. A quick phone call to Nat, one of the Adelaide girls we we met in Turkey, and we arrived at her workplace called Eccovino, a funky wine bar on Cockburn Street. After a cleansing glass of prosecco and a bruschetta of goat cheese, sweet onion, and olive tapenade (naturally), we were ready to hit Princes Street shopping district and find Batreg some 'going out' shoes.

To get to Princes Street we had to go right over the Waverly bridge (back past the train station, where we'd just come from). The protesters cut up through the Park and down sections of Princes Street that had been cordoned off. The sea of white-clad protesters gave me goosebumps, and still does when I think about it.

I took some photos of the protesters, chanting their "Make Poverty History" slogans and blowing their whistles. It was a magic sight, all these people united in a march down the cobbled streets in the shadow of the beautiful Edinburgh Castle. I loved it.

Cut to later that afternoon, and we're on the Royal Mile with an after-work Nat, and our friend Susie (also a Turkey pal, hailing from Adelaide). We enjoyed some afternoon tea and people watching, then way too many beers with Nat at Belushi's, a neat bar/hostel down by the train station (again?!).

When Darren and Jaime arrived later that night, there was some rather confused SMS communication and phone conversation to rendez-vous at the flat the boys had rented, and where we would be staying overnight. The flat was in a prime location, just up from the Royal Mile near the Castle, but in a relatively quiet part of the street. We had dinner at an Italian cafe, then wandered across the street for a few pints.

A sore head on Sunday morning (maybe I was poisoned?!), and I was first up out of bed, in the shower, and ready with my coffee on the couch. Once everyone got organised, we went to a cafe for brunch where I finally tasted some of Darren's Haggis - a crucial part of a Scottish breakfast fry-up. Haggis actually tastes a lot like the stuffing you get in a chicken, but a bit spicier. Not unpleasant, but not something I'd particularly order for myself.

After brunch, we walked along the Royal Mile, calling into various museums and trinket shops along the way. We visited "Camera Obscura" which is a museum-type place full of holograms, illusions, and magic. As the name implies, there is also a Camera Obscura which, as all you latin-philes out there would know, means dark room. It houses a camera that gives you a birds-eye view of what's happening in Edinburgh and you can rotate the lens to spy on pedestrians and get a general view of the City. Rather cool.

When we left the boys, and the City, behind at 5pm, we were absolutely exhausted. But we also knew we had not seen even a small part of the wonders that Edinburgh has to offer. Clearly we need to return when we have a lot more time. I had a really enjoyable weekend in Edinburgh, and I can't wait to go back. The city has a really comfortable feel to me, and has ancient architecture, but a culture for young people. I am really looking forward to getting back there.

No comments: