Friday, July 01, 2005

Chew, swallow, and repeat

Did you know that the world's record for keeping a lifesaver lolly in the mouth - with the hole intact - is 7 hours and 10 minutes? An awfully long time, and a complete waste of time if you ask me, but there you go. I just pass on the trivia, people.

Inspired by batreg's recent post about her new baker boyfriend Gregg, I thought I'd ponder awhile on the gastronomic adventure I've had so far.

Let me say at the outset that I am not afraid of trying new foods. The top 3 unforgettable dining experiences I've enjoyed so far on this trip are as follows:

  1. Hong Kong - the sesame pudding, given to us as a special Chinese treat at the Nathan Street restaurant. BLECH.
  2. France - the mountain o'meat and sauerkraut I shared with Kate's dad in Alsace. Fortunately no pictures were taken, because I can't bear to think of it again. The indigestion days afterwards was enough.
  3. Turkey - ordering a kebab from a restaurant in Istanbul, built under the Bosphorous Bridge (linking Asia and Europe). The kebab meat was served in a bowl, on top of fries, covered in tangy sauce and sour cream. An unconventional way to eat a kebab, for sure.

I'm looking forward to enjoying some traditional Scottish cuisine while I'm here too. I've already had neeps and tatties (boiled turnips & potatoes mashed together), and I've loved the tattie scones with a Sunday morning fry-up.

I guess the only thing that's left is the big one: Haggis. Washed down, of course, with the finest Highland Scotch whiskey. Och, that's magic, sure it is.

2 comments:

Helen and Naomi said...

I came by your blog after you visited mine ... YOU'VE BEEN TO TROY! I saw your pic of the wooden horse .... I soooooooooooo want to go there. Instead I've to make do with Crete this summer (I should be grateful I suppose).

Unknown said...

H

I am a Classics fan too, and I really enjoyed your blog. The huge Trojan horse out the front of the Troy site is a bit kitsch, but the place itself is amazing. And if you make it to Turkey, you MUST spend some time at Ephesus too - the history there is incredible.