Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Do you know the way to San Jose?

I like to think I'm good at geography, while acknowledging that I'm rubbish at navigation and map-reading generally. For my way of thinking, I'm good at geography in the sense of foreign customs, languages, and traditions. I like to know about people in faraway places, how they live and what they do. I've come to appreciate this through some rather nerdy means.

As a younger person, I used to be quite good at the game, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? I could identify quite a number of different flags and customs, and locked away some baddies for Interpol along the way. I watched as much David Attenborough nature programs as my little head could handle. My Year 6 class teacher taught me everything I didn't want to know about South America, and my recent travel experiences have made me love and then hate the Wright brothers for inventing aeroplanes.

But if geography is also about the lay of the land, and being able to look at a map and point to my country of choice, clearly I suck big time. Thanks to my Aussie chum Shedes, I am going spare trying to get a good score for Australia in this little online game. This addictive, terribly disconcerting online game.

I encourage you to give it a go and see whether you can drag Australia out of the slump I've thrown it into. Sorry team!

1 comment:

Jess and Peter said...

Thanks Gab! You've inspired me to do something about my knowledge of geography. I tried this quiz and did horribly (sorry Australia!). Since then, I've been studying my atlas and searching the internet for geography tutorials.

You might be interested in this online geography quiz - there's no pressure to do well for your country. Ciao for now, Jess
http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/index.html