Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Clogged up by lardy goodness

When I admit to people that I've come to Scotland because of the accents, I am being shallow. And misleading.

Two significant things I was looking forward to indulging in were Scottish food and drink, and this interest was rekindled following my positive dining experience in Paris at the weekend.

Now I'm not a whiskey drinker, but at the time of leaving Australia back in February, I was willing to give it a go. And still am, having collected armfuls of brochures advertising distilleries and Whiskey Appreciation Centres (aka pubs) dotted around the Scottish countryside. I've now tried Tennants lager, and can recommend it - for when the Coopers runs out, of course.

And as for food, I've commented already that I've settled into the bacon roll, tattie scone, and neeps & tatties culture (not all in the one meal of course), but the piece de resistance was THIS breakfast fryup served to Daz in Edinburgh.

A Scottish fry-up



Of course, there is nothing odd about it. In fact, this plate looks quite appetising in comparison to some I've seen. And I seem to recall it looking particularly good to my bleary eyes. But note the little ring of haggis smiling up at you from the plate. Even in a hungover state, one will pause before one shovels haggis into one's mouth. Trust me. The Heinz sauce you see above got a workout over the plate shortly after I took this shot.

Like any fry up, the Scottish one has to have lard, unidentifiable ingredients, and more lard. Yummy when hungover, scary when not.

No comments: