Friday, June 24, 2005

Money for nothing and your parking for free?

I got my first pay cheque from my temp job last night and guess what? I've already earmarked some of it to for the local constabulary, to pay a heinous parking fine we incurred the other week in Paisley. An innocent mistake, naturally, but do you think the bobbies will have a bar of it? No bloody way, mate.

As Executive in Charge of Navigation, riding shotgun at the time of the "alleged" infringement, I felt obliged to shoulder the responsibility for directing AB to park in the no-go zone. So I pragmatically sat down the other day and wrote what I considered to be a well-worded letter disputing the fine.

And just when I thought a cute man would turn up on my doorstep with flowers of apology, and exonerating me from any liability, I was, in the words of Alicia Silverstone in Clueless, "brutally rebuffed". The letter arrived to emphatically declare that they're making me pay up. Can you believe it?

It's an unconvential way to spend the first historic pay cheque, but at least it will be memorable. And if I have any change left over, I'm buying a bottle of Aussie red. Here's cheers!

2 comments:

kilabyte said...

Welcome to the world of "brown bombers". They are the same irrespective of country, nationality, ethnic minority, religion ...... the only thing that binds them is that none of them has a father.

Unknown said...

What? I don't get it. Is this something about fascism?