Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Frankly my dear Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore

As an unrepentant movie buff, I often quote from a vast array of movies as a running commentary on my everyday life. So I have been quite interested in the results of a Film Industry survey into the Top 100 Film Lines of All Time

I could have guessed that Rhett Butler's parting remark would have made it to number one because for me, that's such a cliched line applicable to a whole lotta situations.

There's some real gold in the full list - everything from Humphrey Bogart and Greta Garbo, to Tom Cruise and Jack Nicolson. But I am dismayed to find that nothing from the Brat Pack movies rated. The best comeback in history, from "The Breakfast Club" was obviously not high-brow enough. Who could forget Emilio Estevez to Judd Nelson: "Two hits. I hit you, you hit the floor". Gold. Oh well, maybe next year.

If I had been asked the survey question, I would have pushed Dorothy's "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" further up the list. In addition, I would have ensured that "May the force be with you" crept up there, in defence of old-school George Lucas.

But what about you? What would you have picked as the most memborable film line(s) of all time?

2 comments:

Parisienne said...

Does a song lyric count? Because I have always been very fond of Rizzo dancing around with her blonde wig on singing "get your filthy paws off my silky drawers" and "Elvis, Elvis, let me be, keep that pelvis far from me"

Unknown said...

Are you making fun of me, Rizz?
Some people are so touchy.

Oh I love it.