Monday, June 13, 2005

A feet-finding mission

Just a quick post to announce that I am half-way through my first day of my new job. I haven't had a "first day" in so long, I didn't think how nervous I would be.

I woke at 7am, which was a shock in itself. Actually, I woke up every hour from 3.45am, so my subconscious was already well-aware of the change in routine I was expected to make. I got up, dressed, and ready while the rest of the house slept. Except the dog. She made a frenzied barking fuss when I left so I shut her up with some dog biscuits and crossed the road to wait for the bus.

The bus arrived just before 8am and I threw myself infront of it to make it stop. I didn't think it was going to, for a while there. But of course I did, and it was fine. I sat on the edge of the bus seat the whole ride there, just in case I missed my stop. The fact that my stop is the last on the bus route did not seem to gel with me at the time.

My new boss (Brian) seems really nice. I am not unkind enough to speculate age, but he has two boys, aged 11 and 8 - so you guys can do the maths. He is a caffeine freak, so we are getting along great. I have pledged to donate Tim Tams (courtesy of Tesco) for consumption on Friday.

Setting up my office (yes, MY office) has been fun. I've been ordering things from catalogues and bossing around the people in Accommodation to scrounge whiteboards, desks and other goodies from across the campus.

My hours are 8.45am to 4.45pm, which is very civilised. Plus the uni supplies coffee which has made Brian and myself very happy.

So all seems to be going well - will post in a few days with a status report.

2 comments:

kilabyte said...

"Workn for the man" - apologies to the Big O - moolah in the skyrocket, leaving home in the dark and coming home in the dark ...... ahhh memories. And of course the mandatory Friday nite p&*%-up. On ya Gabster!!!!

Unknown said...

Yes I know, it's all a little bit of a shock to the system (particularly the waking at 7am part). God bless take-away coffees on the High Street though.