Saturday, June 18, 2005

Aye the sun, it's magic, that is

The BBC reporter was perhaps a little too flamboyant when he announced that London was gripped by a heatwave today. Count 'em: a staggering 24 degrees Celcius.

The newsreaders swapped grimaces as they shared the common desire to be further north, say in Scotland for instance, where humidity has set in and it's all a bit cooler than that.

I was promised SWELTERING weather this weekend by the punters around the University where I'm currently working. I suppose I shouldn't complain, because I AM sitting here in a tshirt and light pants. It's not quite flip-flop weather, but it's close. And it's not raining...yet. So there are some small mercies for which I am thankful.

I am sparing a thought for my Aussie chums in London, and how they might be bearing up under this early summer assault of sunshine. Send it up north fellas, we'll give it a good home here.

2 comments:

Jess and Peter said...

It's a boiling 32 degrees in Geneva today. My swiss chocolate afternoon snack has melted on my desk and I don't own office clothes suited to non air-conditioned environments. I'm not complaining though, better too hot than too cold. I should enjoy it while it lasts.

Unknown said...

32 degrees - do I need to hear this?! Swiss chocolate - do I need to hear THAT?!