Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Mighty Mount Vesuvius


pompei street
Originally uploaded by cking.

Early this morning we headed off on a coach trip to Naples and Pompei. Did I mention it was early? We woke at 6am, and were out the door just before 7am. Rough.

But the bus trip went without incident, which was good. Our fellow bus travellers were Brits, Americans, Aussies, Germans, and Spaniards, as far as I could tell. In any case, the tour guide had to conduct the whole day in English, German, and Spanish so I was well impressed.

Pompei was just like I remember it from my visit in 2001, with the exception that some things I saw back (like mosaics etc) have been transferred to the Museum in Naples. But I still got some good pics and found the return visit interesting.

Naples was really depressing. I'm glad we didn't have to get out the bus for too long. It's not the sort of town that you want to hang around in for long. However, the region has given the world the Margherita Pizza, so GOLD STAR for that. Yummo.

And returning to our hotel tonight by 8.15pm, we cashed in on the hotel's complimentary (or is that "complementary"?) bottle of wine [and I should confess here that it was actually spumante, but I won't], and that's me finished for the day.

Tomorrow we are sleeping in, and then leaving Rome for Milan on the 2.30pm train. Where has our time gone?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hehe we had a female tour guide, but the fru-it pronunciation was still there. And she announced the hotels as Hotel Coloomboos (instead of Columbus) so I was laughing.

No real shopping in Milan yet, but we are working on it. Damn me for spending my cash in Switzerland. I will give it a go though.

Glad to be out of Rome for a while. It makes a nice change to watch the madness from afar.

Big kisses to you and Daz xox