Monday, April 04, 2005

Bread and Circuses


colosseum
Originally uploaded by mecl67.

My journey around Rome has been one of great indulgence. Who am I kidding? My whole trip around ITALY so far has been about eating, drinking, and enjoying as many monuments and museums that the daylight hours will allow.

Tomorrow we're spending 13 hours on a tour to Naples and Pompeii, exploring ancient sites and oohing and aahing over the awesome power of Mt Vesuvius to total an entire town and bury it for centuries. Cool.

I have been going nuts with my camera, and have taken 190 photos in only six weeks. I don't expect ANYONE to stay awake during that slide night. I think even I will struggle to pay attention!

Today we walked through the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill, home of the ancient Roman Emperors. Their residences are still visible (in ruins, naturally), but it is such a beautiful spot up there, people were having picnics and generally just enjoing the sunshine and relaxation.

Away from the scary Metro, Rome is just as beautiful as I remember from my visit here in 2001. The Italians are such expressive people and, unlike my experiences of the French, there is no mistaking what they're feeling when they talk. Their faces and their hands do as much talking as their mouths, and I love that. Plus the Italians laugh so easily - at themselves, and at others.

I am looking forward to what this week will bring. I'm well aware that our holiday is coming to an end.

On Tuesday we fly to Turkey, and will be looked after for nearly a fortnight on an organised tour. Being at the mercy of someone else's schedule will be tricky to get used to, but there is also something liberating about knowing I can relax for a bit too.

Ciao for now.

No comments: